Yamaha XT500 Forum

XT500 TT500 Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Piston rings install advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:27 am 
Viking Member

mudmantra wrote:
It well be fine. Often if the cylinder is out of round, (oval) you'll discover it during the honing process. The glaze will be removed quickly in some areas, and take forever to be removed in others. Those other marks look pretty small too. Nothing to worry about. Are you going to replace your valve seals?

Aha :idea: that's probably why he first did a very quick honing and wiped it off, then did another honing.
Valve seals are the ones I put in new last years rebuild. I reinstalled them as they looked and felt OK. Valve stem clearance "seemed" within tolerance= they didn't wiggle to much in the guides :oops:
So the seals may be of some use as the guides are slightly worn I think!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 pm 
Viking Member

I'll pick up on this almost a year to the day since the last posting..........

I am about to have my engine powder coated (head, barrel and sides), so I have been measuring the bore to make sure I don't need a rebore prior to the work being done. The bore is in good condition and is standard (87mm). I have measured this to find it is no more than 87.04mm in any measurement. However, the ring gaps are showing 0.025" for the top and 0.020 for the second ring respectively, and the manual states something in the order of 0.008-0.012" (I think from memory) but states an upper limit of 0.031". I therefore seem to be outside the normal gap size but within the upper limit.......... Sorry if I've changed in mid-flight from metric to imperial, but I still tend to use imperial for such small measurements :shock:

I think I should put new rings in while I have the engine stripped. What do you think? Just asking because I've just found out that the rings cost about £50, which surprised me rather!

(& usually an Italian car!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:47 pm 

My 1977 XT500 Yamaha Service manual. .012-.020 standard. Limit .030 in). I would use the rings, Looks like they are in specs to me, for a motor that's had some use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:20 pm 
Viking Member

Thanks Mud,

Since the last post, I have found a supplier in the USA that can supply me a genuine set of rings for half the UK price, so I have ordered some. I didn't really want to use the old ones if I could buy a new set, but then again, £50 for a set of rings seems expensive to me....

I've bought a set from the following, and their prices seem pretty good. The rings cost $26.00 plus $12.00 post, which equates to about £25.00. This seems pretty good to me.

http://www.powersportsplus.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm 
Kickback

Bill - good luck with your rebuild! You seem to be a few steps ahead of me. Thanks for the tip sourcing the ring set cheaply. I might need that.

BTW - I see you are in Cannock. I often pop down there to do the mtb trails, tho not on the TT obviously...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:22 pm 
Viking Member

Bevvo wrote:
Bill - good luck with your rebuild! You seem to be a few steps ahead of me. Thanks for the tip sourcing the ring set cheaply. I might need that.

BTW - I see you are in Cannock. I often pop down there to do the mtb trails, tho not on the TT obviously...

Give me a shout next time you're over the Chase. We can compare notes on piston ring gaps and things......... :) :) :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:49 pm 
Viking Member

Bill Badger wrote:
Thanks Mud,

Since the last post, I have found a supplier in the USA that can supply me a genuine set of rings for half the UK price, so I have ordered some. I didn't really want to use the old ones if I could buy a new set, but then again, £50 for a set of rings seems expensive to me....

I've bought a set from the following, and their prices seem pretty good. The rings cost $26.00 plus $12.00 post, which equates to about £25.00. This seems pretty good to me.

http://www.powersportsplus.com

My piston rings arrived today. No problem with the rings, but I had to pay £11.50 to the Post Office to get them....... It's strange, but I've never been clobbered for import taxes or duty before, but the sticker attached to the parcel states that anything over £15 in value is subject to VAT (about £3.50), plus a Post Office handling charge of £8.00 :o . This is because it was a purchase. If it had been a gift, I would have been ok up to a value of £40.00. It's still worked out about £15 cheaper than from a Yamaha dealer over here, but it dampens my purchase price slightly....... :(

Contact Us | All times are UTC