The Yamaha XT500 TT500 Forum

The International Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Early bike
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
Kick Indicator

Picked this bike up on Saturday from a neighbour.
Engine/frame no starts 1E6 and is under 500.
Headstock sticker says manufactured in October 75.
I don't know how many they made but looks like they started at no 101 from what I've found out so far.
Can anyone tell me the last number for XT500C production?Image

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Early bike
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 am 

Good to see early bikes still about , i also have a 75 bike , November mine with frame numbers about 002500.

TTB

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm 
Kick Indicator

That's interesting to know,thanks.
Was October the 1st month of production?
I think I read somewhere that the bike was first displayed at a show somewhere,maybe Paris,in September.suppose those bikes would have been prototypes with different numbers?
Are there any parts that were different on the early bikes,or are all C's identical?

I'm slowly starting to go through my bike.So far I've found the rear shocks were fitted upside down & bizarrely the headlight was also,with the wiring through the wrong holes.ive ordered some fork stanchion dust covers from the net and also need a speedo as it has an RD one fitted.ive found the repro kph ones on eBay but no sign of an mph one so far.
Are my chances of finding one somewhat slim?
Are the clocks unique to the bike or used on any other Yams?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 pm 

I think it was August show in the US when it was launched but C are all the same except the US silencer, rear indicators, rear lense and headlamp. Maybe a few finer points which Buba will know. Clocks your ok up to and including 79 which should have white metal needle.

TTB

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:28 am 

It seems in UK were sold both 1976 C model: 1E6 and 1N5.
If your C has numbered under 500, it seems was produced for US market. 1E6 for UK should start from 1E6-001100 and the most evident difference is the tapered chromed ring of the headlight.
Your exhaust, if it's original, should have the spark arrester and lettering on the body. The taillight bracket should be silver, the rear shocks overturned, the rear brake lever (on the plate) doesn' t look original, as the kick starter lever. Some bits missed, as the flashers and the rear heat shield.

1E6 for "Other Countries" and 1N5 for "Europe" have many differences, depending on the Country; exhaust, rubber footpegs, rear light lens, rear light bracket, rear lenses' flasher, front fender, chain guard, etc., etc. ...

Buba

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
Kick Indicator

Thanks for the info Buba & yes my bike was imported from the states recently with US headlight.
I don't think the uk bikes got headstock stickers?
It has the correct lettered spark arrester silencer.
I'll have a closer look at the tail light bracket,maybe it's been repainted.
I'd noticed the wrong kickstart.the correct one looks very similar if not the same as the 1975 RD350B one.luckily I have a couple of those if that is the case.
Rear brake lever as well will look at more closely.it did seem to be sitting too high for starters.
Will have to add indicators/rear brackets & spark arrester shield to my wanted list.again indicators look like the RD350/400 ones & patterns are available.

Contact Us | All times are UTC