The Yamaha XT500 TT500 Forum

The International Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: New boy.. No bike yet.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 am 
Decomp

Hi all !... From London.... Your advice please !

I've never owned an XT yet. I'm now 54 years old, and I fell in love with them when I saw one being ridden up the High Street in 1976. Had bikes ever since then, but no XT's.

However,I went to view a 1977 XT500 yesterday that is up for sale. It was quite tidy. The owner has had it for 10 years and appears to have looked after it cosmetically. Tank and seat very good, he replaced the exhaust with a genuine yamaha one which is in excellent condition, replaced genuine rear mudguard, wheels/tyres, switch gear and levers / cables all good / forks and rear shocks good. The engine looked like there was quite a few oil leaks, and it refused to start for him. So I haven't heard it running. I also noticed that it had a new front sprocket cover and that the fixing rear lug on the crankcase has been torn off, probably by a flung chain. The owner said that it normally fires up and had been standing for a while, and I have no reason to doubt him as he seemed overall very genuine. he's going to get it started then contact me again. Engine obviously needs attention of some sort.

The other problem is the engine / chassis numbers. On the registration document they are shown as identical. The number on the frame matches the document, but the engine number doesn't. Bit weird in that it is only 6 digits out.... as an example the frame was 1U612222... and the engine 1U612228. The owner said he bought the bike like that and never realised at the time that there was a discrepancy with the numbers.

If you are able to help, my questions to you are :

1) Is it possible that Yamaha could have cocked up and put the wrong engine in the frame. Are you aware of such a thing happening before, or do you think it's just a different engine put in at a later date ?
2) If I was to hear it running and there's no knocks & rattles or billowing smoke, what's the going price for such a bike in the UK ?
3) Worst case scenario for price to get an engine rebuilt ?...... or to get the bits and strip / rebuild yourself ?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New boy.. No bike yet.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 am 

Hi Tonibell and :w. to the forum.
Sorry I can't help you with your questions but I'm sure another inmate will be along soon with some helpful advice.
:bg:
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:49 am 

tonibell wrote:
Hi all !... From London.... Your advice please !

I've never owned an XT yet. I'm now 54 years old, and I fell in love with them when I saw one being ridden up the High Street in 1976. Had bikes ever since then, but no XT's.

However,I went to view a 1977 XT500 yesterday that is up for sale. It was quite tidy. The owner has had it for 10 years and appears to have looked after it cosmetically. Tank and seat very good, he replaced the exhaust with a genuine yamaha one which is in excellent condition, replaced genuine rear mudguard, wheels/tyres, switch gear and levers / cables all good / forks and rear shocks good. The engine looked like there was quite a few oil leaks, and it refused to start for him. So I haven't heard it running. I also noticed that it had a new front sprocket cover and that the fixing rear lug on the crankcase has been torn off, probably by a flung chain. The owner said that it normally fires up and had been standing for a while, and I have no reason to doubt him as he seemed overall very genuine. he's going to get it started then contact me again. Engine obviously needs attention of some sort.

The other problem is the engine / chassis numbers. On the registration document they are shown as identical. The number on the frame matches the document, but the engine number doesn't. Bit weird in that it is only 6 digits out.... as an example the frame was 1U612222... and the engine 1U612228. The owner said he bought the bike like that and never realised at the time that there was a discrepancy with the numbers.

If you are able to help, my questions to you are :

1) Is it possible that Yamaha could have cocked up and put the wrong engine in the frame. Are you aware of such a thing happening before, or do you think it's just a different engine put in at a later date ?
2) If I was to hear it running and there's no knocks & rattles or billowing smoke, what's the going price for such a bike in the UK ?
3) Worst case scenario for price to get an engine rebuilt ?...... or to get the bits and strip / rebuild yourself ?

Hi Toni

Bikes better if there matching numbers but in my eye not crucial to be honest, i think it will have been an engine transfer as you would have expected over 35 years someone would have noticed and changed the log book. saying that i also have bikes with different engines that i havnt changed the logbooks so its a tough one. Engine build well if its really bad and needs gears , valves, cams, bearings , rod , piston and all manner of stuff it could be £1500 though a rod , bearings, seals,cam chain, piston i would budget £500 plus labour. Motors i strip and build myself as they are so easy.

Any more questions just fire away.

TTB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:49 pm 
Decomp

Thanks for the welcome Kevins......

Tommy thanks...... Price down to about £1800 at the moment... what do you think ?.... obviously I'd like lower, but don't think I can get much better than that..... price come down quite a bit already from the advert.
What about the broken lug behind the sprocket cover... do the crankcases take weld easily ?... thinking maybe it can be built up then machined.

Thanks for your replies.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 pm 
Kickstarter

The price sounds pretty good. Check it has as many original parts as possible, indicators, lights, clocks, bash plate etc, those things can really add up when replacing.
I agree with Tommy on the engine No. not a big deal really, and if the numbers are so close it's a 77 motor anyway. Expect to pay North of 500 quid to recon the motor, but once done properly will last for yonks.
The lug behind the sprocket is the Achilles heel, easily fixed, plenty of good info on this forum, and yes it welds well.
Good luck :th-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 pm 
Viking Member

At £2000 you're in the price area where you get a running bike that needs cosmetics or a cosmetically good bike that needs some mechanical work. Pay more and you may find a better bike altogether, but as TTB says, the engines are pretty straightforward to work on and at least you know what you've got when it's done. Factor in the fact that you've got a good genuine exhaust on it too, and the bike sounds very reasonable.

Suzuki B105P Bearcat 1967
Honda Z50AK3
Honda CA95

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:13 pm 
Decomp

Thanks for the replies. You've helped me decide. I'm waiting on him to contact me because he's busy with work. Hopefully he will soon and I can hear it running. I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:15 pm 

Sounds good to me at 1800 and if you strip the motor I can weld on and tap a lug. Even build up weld of part of the case is bust. Done a few motors now and there easy to work on. Best thing to do is ask if you get stuck.

TTB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 pm 

Here's one I prepared earlier. This one had the bottom smashed off it and needed building up the profiling back.

TTB

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 pm 
Kickstarter

Welcome to the forum , you're in the right place and the sooner you get on with an XT the better... no shortage of info. and advice and with your location a wealth of expert services nearby... the boys have already answered your specific questions... all the best, David

Contact Us | All times are UTC