The Yamaha XT500 TT500 Forum

The International Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:04 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Mark's XT500 restoration in sunny Hampshire
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 am 
Kick Indicator

Hello Chaps

To help me keep a record of my restoration and gain advise and tips from the forum I have started my own thread.

I have owned the bike for maybe 35 years, at least 30 of which it had been forgotten under a tarp at a friends house.

A flick of the points, few carb cleans and it runs so the restoration is on so first task, get a registration document as it as a field bike... Sent off a V62 to DVLA and its come back "we do not hold a record for the VIN/chassis/frame number" so I will have to start from scratch with this so my first question... How do I get proof of age, it's I believe a 78 bike :a.. VIN 004944 matching numbers bike!

Most parts have suffered so it will need at a minimum:
re-chromed forks
Brake shoes & cables
Spokes
Sufficient lights and wiring for a daytime MOT
Speedo
Bloody good service
Decompression lever (may have to make this, cannot see any for sale)
Tyres
Seat cover
Paint
Decals
Side covers
Air filter box is chewed, may be recoverable.
Lot of cleaning and polishing

My budget is around £500 which is very optimistic, I want a clean usable bike not a show piece.

I will blast and zinc plate as much of the original small parts as possible, the general condition once you get below surface rust is very good, even the chain looks like it will boil up.

As I progress I hope to drop in photo's to date everything is unbolting nicely.

Cheers Mark

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Mark's XT500 restoration in sunny Hampshire
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 am 

Bit optimistic Mark with a budget of £500, my guess would be more like £1500 even with a good running motor.
Even if you spent 2k on it its still worth more.

:) TTB

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 am 
Viking Member

Great story and after 30 years under a tarpaulin Mark it definately deserves to be rescued, so will look forward to follow the process :th-)
As Mr T points out though 500 does not go far. Tyres tubes chain sprockets cables bearings seals gaskets re chroming of the forks and its gone. So you will definately have to increase the budget as you go.
Airbox you can often save by plastic welding.

Mr Puffin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:41 am 
Kick Indicator

I am not expecting to hit my budget TBH, but want to see what can be achieved with care, I do have a magpie habit where I buy lots of shiney things at great expense.

Bike owes me the glorious sum of £50 so it hard to see how I can lose money at this stage.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm 
Kickstarter

Great history you have with your old bike, look forward to follow this resto. How many of us wish we'd hung onto the bikes we had back in the day! Makes me think of a bloke I knew from the pub who kept his pristine Fizzy that he had from new in his shed, while he was riding the latest 996 SPS back in the 90's. What the bloody hell are you keeping that old thing for? We'd rib him about. Little did we know.

Anyway, Yamaha UK should be able to send you a letter proving the date they imported the vehicle into the UK, this should satisfy the DVLA to give the bike an age related plate...

Good luck :th-)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:13 pm 
Kick Indicator

Back end ripped out, left hand foot peg splined part is cracked and the bolt sheered off so will have a go at drilling it out and TIG welding before splashing out on another.

Rear silencer is very poorly, I'll blast it off and see if it can be saved before consigning to the bin, the rest looks to have potential I will change the brake rod out of principle, I'm sure I have some trailer brake rod lying around somewhere.

Frame looks to have been black originally, now red so will put back to where it should be, the friction material fell off the shoes.

No discernible wear on the swinging arm pivot, just lots of old grease.

Front end and engine out in the next couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:06 pm 
Kick Indicator

Got carried away, engine is now out, these bikes are really simple!

It was missing one engine bolt and the aluminium bracket that attaches the gearbox end to the rear of the frame is broken at both ends, the frame is now gently glopping oil onto my nice concrete floor.

The frame looks pretty clean, it has a few hours of scrapping off paint so some chemical strippers may come into play.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 pm 
Viking Member

Sounds like your making good progress :th-)

The oil will add charecter to the garage floor :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:44 pm 
Kick Indicator

5 hours later with a cup brush in my angle grinder

I will blast behind the brackets, the frame is in general good health apart from this horror

Not even sure if it's an XT bracket, I guess someone must have cut off the original at some point and slapped this on at a later stage so I have removed and ordered a second hand side stand so I can reattach before I commence painting it.

Costs are adding up, paint is around £40 for rust treatment, primer and 2k black gloss and the kick stand £40 with postage.... I will visit a friends at the weekend and blast all the fixings, fork stantion bolts, spindles etc ready to zinc plate.

I also have a few sheared off bolts to address and one of the skid pan brackets is a twisted mess so will make another.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:23 am 
Kickstarter

You're making real progress there, good that you're getting all the prep done properly before you paint. Have a close look at the lower frame rails under the engine, these can rust internally, especially as it's sat for a few decades! A little thing to watch on the zinc coating prep, is to get the parts shiny smooth. A wire wheel brings them up real good. If they get zinc dipped pitted, they come out dull and pitted. I think Bill Badger has some experience with this.

Contact Us | All times are UTC