The Yamaha XT500 TT500 Forum

The International Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Smoking on start up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:45 am 
Viking Member

Hmm The latest rebuild is finally finished BUT she smokes like crazy on start up ! It's OK if you wish to advance on the enemy without them seeing you, but whilst it goes away after a minute or five, it is a bit embarrasing. Strange thing is that this engine came off another bike frame where it had probably done around 100 miles or so after a complete rebuild - every seal, bearing, worn out bit replaced. Barrel was honed but didn't need a rebore. New rings put in (correctly I am sure). Valves lapped etc. I just took her out for a quick 10 mile spin - goes well, compression all good and no oil leaks. Oil level may have dropped a bit - I need to check it out more carefully so hard but hard to tell so far. Took spark plug out and it looks reasonable - not jet black with soot. I had a new exhaust - a Musket from NZ, and the first time this happened I thought maybe the new exhaust was just buring off some inner paint or whatever. The second time I decided to cheer up and think the same thing, but the third time is more than a coincidence - isn't it ?

All ideas more than welcome - :bg:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Smoking on start up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 am 
Viking Member

got that mesage again that board quota has been reached - shame as the pic of her smoking is quite impressive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am 
Viking Member

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/falki ... ml?filters[user]=145341569&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:59 am 

Faulky did you use genuine valve stem seals or after market ones, i have only ever used genuine seals except once
when i used an after market stem seal that came with the kit which failed.
Now i dont even contemplate using after market seals and only use genuine ones.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:43 pm 
Viking Member

Octant remember ttb will have to check the invoices but that could be the reason although strange it didn't smoke when first rebuilt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm 
Thumper Pilot

Not the old oil siphoning into the cases routine after standing overnight, is it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:09 pm 
Viking Member

deeteefifty wrote:
Not the old oil siphoning into the cases routine after standing overnight, is it?

Hi DT - it shouldn't be as I changed the nn return valve for a new one. I think TTB may have ot the proverbial on the had with the valve seals. I changed them for the ones that came with the gasket set. They have always worked before OK, but it's worth swopping them to genuine ones I think. :bg:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:13 pm 
Thumper Pilot

Is it worth draining the cases after it has stood a while to see how much is in. I'm not sure how much sits there in a good engine. If no one on here knows I can drain mine for you as a guide. Thought this would be easier than taking the engine out to start with. Before my rebuild mine would smoke nearly as bad as yours, but would clear after a few minutes, but using 1L oil every 100 miles, the piston had picked up on the cylinder smudging the alloy onto the oil control rings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 am 
Viking Member

Hi DT - thanks for that suggestion. You mean drain from the sump plug only I guess and measure ?- i.e. if the check valve is working properly then it will simply measure the oil in the cases. Sounds like a good plan and will do it tomorrow. I was reading your previous post yesterday as the symptoms seemed to be the same. My dipstick this morning shows a loss of oil overnight, so the check valve could be the problem. However, I am also noticing small spatters of black oil on the rear fender after a run, so that would point to a valve seal as well perhaps when running. Mind you, even with a smaller rear number plate, it still obscures the exhaust a little bit. Slightly off topic, but nobody would make me a three line plate by the way - said it was not road legal despite the MOT website saying no problem.

I didn't quite understand your point about the piston had picked up on the cylinder smudging the alloy onto the oil ontrol rings though.

Many thanks :bg:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:54 am 

Take the exhaust pipe off and see if there's oil residue in the exhaust port.

Contact Us | All times are UTC