The Yamaha XT500 TT500 Forum

The International Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 6:03 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: xt500 incredibly difficult to start
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:20 pm 
Kickback

I've had this bike for a over a year now and have done all the tune up requirements. Ulatrasonic cleaning of the carb, float height, static timing, points gap, checked wiring. New coil and condenser. I even took it to a mechanic so he could look it over and check to see if everything is OK. Everything was ok but he fixed some wiring.

This bike is incredibly difficult to start. I have only been able to start it 6-7 times after repeated kicking. Once it starts it idles perfectly and revs nicely.

When I check for the spark it seems very weak and difficult to see. I understand that it is related to the force of the kick and rotation of the engine while kicking but compared to other bikes it seems weak to me. I've only checked it outside in sunlight so those are not ideal conditions. I'll check again after dusk and report back.

My kicking technique is as follows. I use the sight gauge to rotate the engine till I see the white line. I let the kicker come up to the top and then slowly rotate the engine till I feel compression. (should I kick when I let the kicker return to the top or should I rotate it till I feel compression???) Then I kick it as hard as I can. I can only do this while the bike is on the side stand. I'm short and very light weight so I need the bike to rest for me to kick over. The compression on this thing is unbelievable.

Lastly this is the kickstarter that came with the bike. My mechanic says that this might not be the correct one and may not allow for full rotation of the engine through the compression stroke and spark. Here are two pictures. What are your thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: xt500 incredibly difficult to start
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:44 pm 
Thumper Pilot

Prospect,

Your lever looks fine to me.

My start up is slightly different as I do not have a sight window. My understanding was that once the white patch is in the window, the bike is on top dead centre and ready to kick over. Try to make sure that the lever is nice and high to allow a good kick from top to bottom. Don't stab like a 2 stroke, give it a good solid (and committed) swing all the way through until the lever is checked by the foot peg. when you are getting the white patch in place are you pulling in the decomp lever below the clutch?

Another top tip is to turn the handlebars to the left. If the bike kicks back you will probably get a good kick up the leg, but at least you won't knee the handle bars which is a bonus.

Have a look on utube, plenty of examples of how to do it and how not to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:00 am 
Thumper Pilot

Hi Prospect:

That is the standard lever but it should be set on the index mark....the slot on the lever hub should be lined up with the dot mark on the shaft. This would give you a few extra degrees of rotation which is important because the bike doesn't fire until the very end of the kick-stroke and your current lever postion will shorten the stroke and stop the lever before the bike fires.

Lining up the white dot in the window, and rotating the engine through the compression are two ways to do the same thing...don't do both. If you rotate the engine until you see the white dot in the window that means the piston is set to kick....just let the lever come to the top without any further adjustment and kick. The white flag means it's ready and in position.

Moving the engine through TDC is a technique for when you don't have a window to tell you the kick position.

Have a look at my webpage: http://www.members.shaw.ca/me.walsh/xt500is.htm

patuca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:47 am 
Thumper Pilot

New spark plug?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 am 
Kickstarter

I can't add much more than has been said... definitely change the kick lever position ; definitely look at Patuca's webpage and as noted so many times, Don't touch the throttle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:27 am 

Hi Prospect
I think Patuca has said it all, the only thing I might add is that you don't need to kick it as hard as you possibly can.
I used to jump on my kick starter as hard as I could until someone pointed out to me that its more important to give the bike a full and steady kick right through the stroke.
Hope you get it right soon.
:bg:
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:00 am 

I find it a struggle even for me to start my bikes on a lean so starting the bike on its stand
isnt the best option niether for starting to the stand for that instance, try and get the knack
of balancing while starting the bike, im 5ft 6" and had taller bikes, even the dakar bike i have
and still manage to start them.

Some good points here and the main one is the position of the kick start.

TTB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:49 pm 
Viking Member

Something wrong about that kickstart lever, if he lines up the dot the lever will hit the case when up and folded. its close now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:41 pm 
Kickback

Thanks very much for the replies. I'll change the kick lever position to line up the slot with the dot. Perhaps it's as simple as that.

But like Ottis0 mentioned the lever will hit the case when folded up. I just went out to check and yes the lever will hit the case when folded up but I can align the slot with the mark.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm 
Viking Member

Prospect I think the maybe the kickstart stop (25 - 26) inside case is broke, because of that the shaft returns too far in the up position and the dot is past where it should be. The ratchet probably engages at the normal place going down so you lose half the kick travel. My moneys on that. Or maybe (19 and 24) not indexed correctly. dots on each of them must line up too.
Be careful of letting lever smack up and hit the case and break it if you move kickstarter to line up dot.
I would take off clutch cover and see why shaft not stopping in right position.

Contact Us | All times are UTC