Yamaha XT500 Forum

XT500 TT500 Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Standard airbox with Mikuni VM36
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm 
Kickback

Guys, will the standard airbox fit back on with a Mikuni VM36 carb?
Boner.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Standard airbox with Mikuni VM36
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:25 pm 
Kickstarter

Boner wrote:
Guys, will the standard airbox fit back on with a Mikuni VM36 carb?
Boner.

not an exact answer, the inlet on the vm is bigger than the standard carb inlet, i know the vm is around 60mm od.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 am 
Thumper Pilot

Pretty pointless even if it did fit as the airbox would reduce the power of a 36 to less than a standard carb. That's already been tested and the results published. Just like the SP400 the XT is corked up on inlet and exhaust. If I was going to use an airbox with a 36 I'd use a bigger less restrictive airbox if that's possible

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 am 
Kickback

Thanks chaps, there reason I was wondering is that I was planning on using the XT for some green laning too - didn't want to suck any sh1t into the engine!
Any ideas - perhaps there is some short of protected filter out there?!
Cheers - Boner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm 

Bone, in my experience with DT250's and my SP250, a good and oiled dual element foam pod will not clog or take in water, unless submerged.I've dumped both in the drink, SP died from wet iggy, DT just died, but when I pulled the plug, no water came out, so it didn't get much in, despite dunking it up to the handlebars. And the chickadee on the back was impressed too. YMMV.

If you want the box for just off-road, you might check the sellers, you might find some of the sellers list inlet, outlet, and the distance in-between. PM me if you can't find it and I'll try to find again and post the link here, for all to see. If you are going to go back and forth between what you have and a box, you will probably need to re-jet each time, or have a spare carb to swap in. Once the jets are worked out, swapping them would be the easy part of going back and forth if it's anything like my airbox.

Another thought, you could run a foam pod, and fashion a tube shaped cover that is an inch or so larger in diameter and open on the back. I was thinking of doing this so each ride off-road doesn't call for a filter cleaning afterwards. Should be done anyway, but in the real world, it ain't happening after a short off-road jaunt. Sub-thought would be a U shaped cover with the opening up, and extending up as far as it will fit. Round would be a lot easier to make, Large PVC pipe, coffee can, etc. You could even paint it purdy, not sayin' I would :lol:

Suzuki, God's bike.
Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated.
Peanut Gallery Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 pm 
Kickback

Good call Knudsen.
Can't be bothered to re-jet all the time, so it's going to be a home-made cover for me - like it!
Thanks - Boner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 am 
Viking Member

Good call Boner, if your running the bike offroad some form of filter protection is a must. Construction you can either build something fancy from a Road closed sign or something from one of those plastic screen wash cans. The plastic is easy to cut and to form :th-

Attachment:
banner_bilpleie_no_viskerblad.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm 

and chicks dig it!

Suzuki, God's bike.
Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated.
Peanut Gallery Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:33 pm 
Thumper Pilot

I used the biggest K&N I could find, which was a mistake as it slightly fouled the mud screen for the back wheel. K&Ns are used on USA dirt tracks so I doubt they let in dust. I then picked up some air filter sheets at a show and sleeved that over the K&N for mud. Don't know if it affected carb settings as I also got a 3" Supertrapp and shorter secondary pipe. When the lot was on the carb was still fine. It blubbers very very slightly off idle in neutral but I like that as when I crack the throttle open off a corner in a race it pulls clean and doesn't run weak [no accelerator circuit].

Contact Us | All times are UTC