The Yamaha XT500 TT500 Forum

The International Home of The Yamaha XT500 & TT500 For Riders, Restorers and Racers
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The XT500 TT500 Forum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: seat recover
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:27 am 
Kickback

I planned to recover my seat but the plastic base is so brittle that staples actually break and crack the plastic I am sure there must be a way to work around this. I have not contacted a proper upholstery shop as I plan to do it myself and suspect they would not want to give away all their trade secrets. Any suggestions or experiences ?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: seat recover
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:20 pm 
Viking Member

Hi WOFLD - I have no ideas on seats I'm afraid, but would GRP work using the old base as a mould ? I did this (with some help from a mate) on my old bashplate which had completely rotted and was full of holes and the end result was perfect. Just wondering if you could do the same with a seat plastic base ? Just thoughts ....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:49 am 
Kickback

I thought I posted a response but I may of had a drink that night, GRP Glass reinforced plastic or as we might call it fiberglass? that might give me a surface that would take a staple. The actual plastic seat base is in good shape no cracks except the one from where I tried to staple in to it. I had thought about attaching a wood? strip that wood accept staples with two part epoxy (JBweld) but perhaps a staple strip help in place by GRP. NO rush and I probably should check with an upholstery shop along the way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:26 am 
Viking Member

Yes, I think fibreglass probably not a good idea - had forgottten about the need to take staples. Good idea to visit an upholstery shop !!

Contact Us | All times are UTC